I love mark-downs because they’re cheap! My mom loved bargains too. She would wait until Christmas Eve day, catch the bus, ride downtown and buy all of our gifts in one day at the fabulous marked-down prices.
The Word of God is far from cheap — it is the most valuable book ever written. The Psalmist wrote “For you have magnified your word above all your name!” Ps 138:2
Today there are “movements,” particularly within the Charismatic/Pentecostal realm, which are “marking down” the Word of God. They are placing “man’s writings, experiences, prophecies, visions, angelic visitations and manifestations above God’s word. Many believe they are “God-Chasers” when in reality they are often “itching ear” chasers. There is grave danger in this pursuit. As to the pastors/teachers/leaders that are directing believers into these movements . . . there’s is a more severe judgement.
Paul underscored the value of God’s word in the New Testament to the young pastor, Timothy. He stressed, “All scripture is given by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Tim 3:16-17.
So what is CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE?
The Christian faith is founded on Jesus Christ and His resurrection. Before the New Testament gospels were even written, the early Christian leaders declared their belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus through a statement of belief known as a creed. As the church was becoming established, it became necessary for it’s founders to establish additional creeds “doctrine.” There are non-negotiable orthodox Christian faith doctrines. These Prime Truths are what unite us as Christians, and what distinguish orthodox traditions from other groups whom we are unable to recognize as fully Christian.
The Prime Truths are derived from the Scriptures and the Creeds of the Church throughout the ages. The cults and heresies are defined by the way they reject one, some or many of these fundamental beliefs The Prime Truths of Orthodox Christian faith are:
1. God is trinity
2. God is the sole creator of all things
3. The Bible is God’s inspired Word, and authoritative for faith and conduct.
4. Humanity was created by God for relationship, with Himself and with one another
5. Christ born of a virgin birth
6. Christ is both God and Man and although He became Flesh, He was always God
7. Christ’s death is the Atonement for the sins of the whole world
8. Salvation is by Grace through faith 9. Christ underwent a bodily resurrection
10. Christ will return in bodily form
11. The Holy Spirit is God and his life giving power sustains all things
12. The Church is the Body of Christ – seen in its ministry and sacraments
My focus in this blog is the current “abuse” and heretical approach to Doctrines: 3) The Bible is God’s inspired Word, and authoritative for faith and conduct; and 6) Christ is both God and Man and although He became Flesh, He was and is always God!